Search

Total Pageviews

Saturday 7 November 2015

If I ever buy antiques, they'd be books!

I was contacted by Invaluable.com recently, an online auction site with a huge collection of valuable books. They asked me if I felt like putting together my dream literary collection from antique books they have to offer and I thought why not.


I'm a college student and I'm usually broke. That's stating the obvious. But, like most enthused students I too harbor desires and hopes, and one of them is to be filthy rich enough to own an envious collection of antique books.

I dream about my most prized possession (read: books) actually becoming my most prized possession. Rusty pages, the raw form of the manuscript, the vulnerability of the first draft: all of this is reason enough for spending the big bucks on antique books. The intoxication of first editions hardcovers is irresistible and overpowering to me.

Here's my ideal literary collection, I might  must keep adding to it.


  • The Great Gatsby 
The story may have sounded extravagant to people, but to me it is one of the most beautiful I have read. Of all the classics, this one HAS to be my favorite. The one available at Invaluable.com is described as "publisher's dark green cloth, front cover blind-stamped, spine gilt-lettered, cocked, bottom corners bumped with light exposure, spine tips slightly rubbed with tiny split at head; supplied with facsimile dust jacket; dime-sized stain to rear endpapers". What would I not give to have it in my hands?

  • Classics, and then some
Other classics on my list are: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and The Diary of Anne Frank.

Uncle Scrooge is my childhood villain, and the hope that everyone learns and corrects his/her wrongdoings. 
It is the holiday season! Dickens is what drew me to reading voraciously. I remember poring over each word of A Tale of Two Cities because I liked his style of writing so much. The intrigue it held then is still there, and I'd love to have this in my dream literary collection.


The book is about a vampire, it has a tan clothing on it and is fingersoiled. I cannot wait to open it and smell it already! 

I remember when I was 11 year old and was bowled over by Portia's sagacity. I still am in love with that character. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts